Before your trip
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR TRIP
(Updated July 2023)
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Affordable World journey, please log on to your My Affordable account and click on your trip confirmation ID to review the most up to date trip details including hotel information, flight schedules, and ticket number(s). Please make sure you have all travel documents*, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport as you will need to present it when checking in at the airport*. Please be advised that not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travelers arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding passes at the airline counter when you check in for your flight.
UPON ARRIVAL IN GREECE
Please go through Customs and immigration on your own. Our representative will be waiting for you inside the baggage claim area and will be holding an Affordable World flag or sign. Please wear your Affordable World badge for easy identification.
Affordable World tour guides/airport assistants will wait for arriving tour members at the airport baggage claim area for up to 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight before departing from the airport with transportation to the hotel. If for any reason a tour member does not meet the Affordable World representative within 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight, the tour member will be responsible for his or her own transportation from the airport to the hotel, along with all associated expenses.
Land Only Travelers
Land only packages do not include airport transfers. Land only travelers – please arrange your own airport transfer to the hotel. If you have purchased an airport transfer service from us please be sure to provide all flight information to Affordable World prior to your trip departure date.
Extended Stay Travelers
Airport transfers are not included for those who have chosen to extend their stay at the end of the tour or depart early. If you have purchased an airport transfer service from us, please be sure to provide all flight information to Affordable World prior to your trip departure date.
Upon arrival in Athens, a local guide or representative will provide you with a detailed day-to-day itinerary with transfer schedules for all city and optional tours, as well as any necessary vouchers required for the trip. Domestic ferry and/or flight schedules and tickets, along with their corresponding transfer schedules will also be provided upon arrival.
Land Only Travelers - an envelope with the above information will be left at the front desk in the Athens hotel.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months from the return date of your trip.
- US Passport holders – No visa is required for your stay up to 90 days for regular passport holders. A visa is required for all official and diplomatic passport holders.
- Non-US-Passport holders – please check with your local consulate or embassy for Greece Visa requirements.
- All travelers must ensure they are eligible to enter Greece and produce all required entry documentation for this vacation. Requirements and restrictions may depend on different factors including but not limited to: your country of residence, passport nationality, transit points, as well as previous travel history.
- For detailed passport and visa requirements, all travelers are advised to check with the related embassy or consulate.
- Full proof of Covid-19 vaccination is no longer required for Greece. This new protocol will take effect for Greece packages departing on or after July 05, 2023 and is subject to change at any time.
- Please note that the information provided in this document is based on the time of print/publication and a country’s requirements can change at any time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to check all updates and obtain all necessary documents and tests prior to departure, as well as entry back into the US. Affordable World is not responsible if you are denied entrance for any reason in any country, even if you hold a valid passport and entry visa.
- Baggage allowance for international flights varies by airline and is subject to change at any time. For up-to-date baggage allowance restrictions, please check with the appropriate airline for their latest regulations. Additional baggage charges may apply.
- Please keep in mind within Europe the baggage limitation on all flights varies by airline. Generally, the baggage allowance on domestic or within Europe flights is limited to 1-check-in of 44 lbs. and 1 carry-on of 13 lbs. Please check directly with the corresponding airline to confirm baggage allowance policies.
Important Luggage Info & Tips
- Baggage is the sole responsibility of the traveler. We recommend using a TSA approved luggage lock and Affordable World luggage tags (enclosed) showing the name and contact information of the owner.
- DO NOT pack medicine, valuables, and other personal necessities in checked luggage. Keep these items in your carry-on bag.
- Consider packing a change of clothing, a set of undergarments and toiletry in your carry-on bag to avoid inconvenience caused by delays or lost luggage.
- Power bank chargers over 20,000 mAh are restricted from carry on and check in luggage.
- Power bank mAh capacity must be clearly labelled by the manufacturer on the charger.
- Please visit www.tsa.gov for USA carry on restrictions.
- No porter service will be provided throughout the tour or on ferry journeys; customers will need to be physically able to carry their own baggage when embarking and disembarking the ferry to place baggage in the designated storage area (this may include steps, inclines and/or uneven walkways).
- During the tour please always keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
- Important note: Affordable World Tours’ representatives cannot enter the luggage claim area. After you collect your luggage, please exit the baggage claim area. Our local Affordable World representative will be waiting for you outside with an Affordable World flag or sign.
FERRY SERVICE DISRUPTION
Please note, in circumstances which may be beyond our control, ferry services between islands may be interrupted or cancelled due to reasons such as, inclement weather, acts of God, a strike, or other unforeseen hazardous conditions. If the ferry services will not operate as scheduled, our ground agents in Greece will make reasonable efforts to assist you; this includes but is not limited to varying itineraries or substituting sightseeing excursions. In some cases, we may have to rearrange your itinerary to accommodate the revised ferry schedule and in other cases you will be given the option to pay the difference for a flight to the island; alternatively you may also purchase your own flight should you wish to. In other rare cases it may not be possible to access the island at all. Please note, the options listed are for reference only and will vary based on the circumstances at the time of the event. Our ground agents in Greece will determine the best alternative options for the group and inform you of the itinerary changes and/or alternate transportation options at the time of the event. Please note, any unused tour costs will not be refunded, and any additional expenses incurred will not be reimbursed by Affordable World. Prior to your travels, we highly recommend purchasing adequate travel insurance.
Please keep in mind all these durations are subject to change given any determining factors that day.
Athens - Mykonos - approx. 5 hours
Mykonos - Santorini - approx. 4 hours
Santorini - Athens - approx. 8 hours
Please note, our Greece packages are classified as semi-independent tours*. Ferry transfers will be handled by different local representatives at each port upon arrival and departure. Guests will not be provided with porter services or assistance with getting on/off any of the included ferry journeys. Please visit our travel styles page to learn more about our different travel styles offered.
*Semi-Independent trips are generally medium-paced and often offer more free time than Escorted tours: cue free days and evenings earmarked for you to explore alone or join optional tours. The trips include local guides and guiding services on city orientation and optional tours as per the itinerary—with some featuring the same guide and others guides who vary across cities, days, and activities. Airport-hotel transfers may be handled by different representatives, while in other cases, you may need to take airport shuttles and short cab rides independently. With these tours, you won’t be provided with porter services or assistance with getting on and off any included ferry journeys.
Greece uses the Euro as its national currency. As of July, the exchange rate is $1 U.S dollar to 0.92 Euro. We suggest you bring a combination of cash and credit cards for your trip. Most department stores, hotels and restaurants will accept major credit cards such as American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. However, it is more convenient to use cash especially if you are planning to shop and eat in smaller shops. Please always keep your currency exchange receipts as you may need to present these when changing EUR back to your own currency at the end of your trip. All travelers entering or leaving the EU with a sum equal to or exceeding 10,000 Euros must declare the amount in writing to Customs without being individually requested to do so.
An important note on tipping - please note gratuities are not included in your tour cost. They are customary and their purpose is to encourage and reward quality service. Our guides and drivers greatly appreciate any tips you would like to give them. As you will have different guides and drivers in each city, we have provided a breakdown for the suggested tip amount (in Euro) by city, guide and driver.
- Athens: €10 to TG / €5 to driver
- Mykonos: €7 to TG / €3 to driver
- Santorini: €7 to TG / €3 to driver
HEALTH & MEDICAL MATTERS
- Medical and vaccination requirements vary between countries and it is important you check with your family doctor or a qualified medical professional for the most up to date travel health information for the region you are visiting.
- Guests must ensure they are physically and medically able to travel; the majority of our tours incorporate active elements such as walking to and from buses and vessels, walking long distances, and sightseeing; you are responsible for familiarizing yourself with the level of activity that will be involved in your guided Tour. Please consult your physician regarding your medical condition and ability to travel long distances.
- It is advisable to pack any prescription medicine in your carry-on luggage. Please ensure prescription medicine is fully labeled. It may also be useful to bring aspirin, over-the-counter medicine for the flu, indigestion, motion sickness, etc. In case of illness during the trip, please immediately notify your tour guide for assistance.
Our Itineraries include city tours and these involve a decent amount of walking. Be prepared for many steps, uneven pavement and walking up steep inclines (especially in Santorini, Mykonos and Crete; as well as Athens’ historic sites) – comfortable walking shoes with grip are strongly recommended.
Greece’s electrical system operates at 220 volts. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S appliances. It is recommended travelers bring their own voltage converter and adapter.
The time difference between major cities in North America and Greece are as below:
- Los Angeles + 10 hours
- New York + 7 hours
Certain meals are included in Greece as per the itinerary. We regret to inform you that Affordable World is unable to confirm any special meal request as it is based on the availability of thstaurants, hotels, and airlines. Please contact the airlines directly to place special meal requests for your flights.
Although Affordable World Tours’ national guides will be happy to assist you with any shopping requirements, Affordable World Tours does not assume responsibility for any items purchased at shops while on tour. You are never required to purchase any items while on tour and thus must be responsible for your own purchases. Any after sales correspondence must be between the passenger and the shop in question.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES
Hotel Elevators: Elevators in most European hotels are generally smaller than in the US. Please be patient when waiting for elevators or for luggage in hotels.
Public Restrooms: It is common in Europe that travelers have to pay to use restrooms. It is recommended you carry some coins at all times.
Optional tours may be added up to 7 days prior to the departure date. Optional tours may also be purchased while on the tour. All on-site optional tour purchases are an additional $10 per person and must be payable in USD cash (credit cards are not accepted for on-site optional tour purchases). Optional tours that have a “pre-book” icon are only available for purchase up to 7 days prior to the departure date and are not available for on-site purchase. Unused services, including optional tours are non-refundable.
CLIMATE & CLOTHING
Greece generally has a typical Mediterranean climate – the country traditionally experiences hot summers and rainy and cold winters but overall enjoys a good amount of sunshine all year long.
- It is suggested to bring comfortable, casual clothing, and a swimsuit; a comfortable pair of walking shoes and sunglasses are essential, light hats are advisable.
- Be prepared for many steps, uneven pavement and walking up steep inclines (especially in Santorini, Mykonos and Crete; as well as Athens’ historic sites) – comfortable walking shoes with grip are strongly recommended.
- If you are visiting Greece in the summer, choose lightweight clothes for its balmy weather – natural fabrics such as linens and cottons are highly recommended. While the Greek islands are hot during the day, they can get cooler in the evenings so a light sweater or jacket is recommended. Winter months can be quite cold so normal winter wear is suggested.
- Check www.weather.com for more detailed weather conditions closer to your departure date.
- It is not necessary to bring formal clothing however modest attire is always welcome.
GREECE EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
+30 6947 56 59 06 (Marjan)
+30 6947 56 59 03 (Thanassis)
+30 6947 56 59 07 (emergency office – after hours)
We’d like to remind all guests to check their local state travel guidelines regarding travel restrictions when arriving from international destinations or other US States, as this may vary state by state.
US State Department
CDC Travel Resources
Protocol for Arrivals in Greece
U.S. Embassy Athens
91 Vasilisis Sophias Avenue
10160 Athens, Greece
Telephone: +(30)(210) 721-2951
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +30 210 729-4444 or +30 210 729-4301
Fax: +(30)(210) 724-5313
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook
Our experienced staff of Greece specialists take pride in providing you with the very best in service and planning. Thank you for choosing Affordable World as your partner in travel. We are confident your trip will be happy and rewarding!