COVID-19 TRAVEL INFORMATION
(Updated August 2022)
TRAVEL AND IMMIGRATION RESTRICTIONS
Several countries have imposed travel and immigration restrictions due to COVID-19. This is a dynamic situation and it is the responsibility of the customer to check all relevant travel advisories to and from the countries they are visiting and transiting through. Always check travel restrictions for each part of your trip; this includes layovers for connecting flights, as well as entry requirements for your return back to the US. Please note that the information provided in this addendum is based on the time of print/publication and a country’s requirements can change at any time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to check all updates and obtain all necessary documents and tests prior to departure, as well as entry back into the US. Affordable World is not responsible if you are denied entrance for any reason in any country, even if you hold a valid passport and entry visa. Non U.S Passport holders - please check with your local embassy or consulate for detailed visa and travel document/entry requirements. If you need clarification on whether you may enter Malta, contact the closest Maltese Embassy or consulate, as well as your airline prior to travel. The US Embassy in Malta cannot give you permission to enter Malta or request exceptions to Malta or EU travel restrictions.
All travelers must ensure they are eligible to enter Malta and produce all required entry documentation for this vacation. Requirements and restrictions may depend on different factors including but not limited to: your country of residence, passport nationality, transit points, as well as previous travel history.
*Full proof of Covid-19 vaccination is no longer required for our Istanbul & Malta tours*. This new protocol will take effect for Istanbul & Malta packages departing on or after August 30, 2022 and is subject to change at any time. For more details and a full list of exemptions, visit the Maltese Ministry of Health website and Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
- Passenger Locator Form (PLF):
Travelers are no longer required to complete the digital Passenger Locator Form. The completion of this form is voluntary irrespective of the country you are traveling from. All countries/zones are now classified as red.
- Vaccine Certificate & Covid-19 Tests:
Effective July 25, 2022, Full proof of Covid-19 Vaccination and a negative PCR test result are no longer required to enter Malta. It is recommended to bring a vaccination certificate with you if you are fully vaccinated.BEFORE TRAVELING BACK TO THE UNITED STATES:
- Effective Sunday June 12, 2022 - Travelers are no longer required to present a negative viral COVID-19 test result for the flight to the United States. Please see CDC’s FAQ for answers to questions about the requirements for all air passengers arriving in the United States. *Important note: If you are unable to board your scheduled return flight to the U.S. for any reason, you will be responsible for any expenses you may incur (ie. flight expenses, hotel accommodation, transportation, meals, sundry expenses and more). Please note, Affordable World cannot be held responsible if you cannot return as scheduled and will not be responsible for any related expenses.
ARRIVALS - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (MALTA)
- All travelers will be met by an Affordable World guide/representative at the Malta (MLA) airport.
- Please refer to our ‘Malta Things to Know Before You Go’ document for more arrival details.
- Travelers are no longer required to wear masks in public places.
We’d like to remind all guests to check their local state travel guidelines regarding travel restrictions when arriving from international destinations or other US States, as this may vary state by state.
US State Department
CDC Travel Resources
Maltese Ministry of Health
U.S. Embassy in Malta
MALTA EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
+356 9949 4396
US Embassy Malta
Ta’Qali National Park Street
Attard ATD 4000, Malta
Telephone: +(356) 2561-4000
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
(Updated November 2022)
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Affordable World journey, please log on to your My Affordable account and click on your trip confirmation ID to review the most up to date trip details including hotel information, flight schedules, and ticket number(s). Please make sure you have all travel documents*, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
*Additional travel documents, PCR tests, proof of full vaccination and other items may be required due to Covid-19. It is the responsibility of the traveler to check relevant travel advisories, requirements and/or restrictions for each part of the trip; this includes airline specific policies, layovers for all connecting flights, entry requirements to Malta and entry requirements for your return back to the US; travelers must obtain all required documents, tests and vaccinations prior to departure. Affordable World is not responsible if you are denied entrance for any reason in any country, even if you hold a valid passport and entry visa.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport and all required travel documents* as you will need to present them when checking in at the airport. Please be advised that not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travelers arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding passes at the airline counter when you check in for your flight
UPON ARRIVAL IN MALTA
Please go through Customs and Immigrations on your own. After you pick up your luggage, exit the baggage claim area and look for the Affordable World representative* holding an Affordable World flag or sign. Please wear your Affordable badge (enclosed) for easy identification.
*Depending on your arrival date, you will be met by a hotel representative or the local tour guide.
Airport Transfers upon Arrival
Affordable World tour guides/airport assistants will wait for arriving tour members outside the airport baggage claim area for up to 90 minutes* after the landing time of the tour member's flight before departing from the airport with transportation to the hotel. If for any reason a tour member does not meet the Affordable World representative within 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight, the tour member will be responsible for his or her own transportation from the airport to the hotel, along with all associated expenses.
Extended Stay Travelers
Airport transfers-out are not included for those who have chosen to extend their stay at the end of the tour. If you have purchased an airport transfer service from us, please be sure to provide all flight information to Affordable World prior to your trip departure date.
Upon arrival in Malta, a tour guide or representative will provide you with a detailed day-to-day itinerary with transfer schedules for city and optional tours as well as any necessary vouchers required for the trip.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months from the return date of your trip and have at least 1 blank page.
- US Passport holders – No visa required for stays up to 90 days
- Non-US-Passport holders – please check with your local Malta consulate for Visa requirements
- It is the responsibility of the traveler to obtain a visa in a timely manner
- For detailed passport and visa requirements, all travelers are advised to check with the related embassy or consulate
- Baggage allowance for international flights varies by airlines and is subject to change at any time. For up-to-date baggage allowance restrictions, please check with the appropriate airline for their latest regulations. Additional baggage charges may apply.
- Please keep in mind within Europe the baggage limitation on all flights varies by airline. Generally, the baggage allowance on domestic or within Europe flights is limited to 1-check-in of 44 lbs. and 1 carry-on of 13 lbs. Please check directly with the corresponding airline to confirm baggage allowance policies.
- Baggage is the sole responsibility of the traveler. We recommend using a TSA approved luggage lock and Affordable World luggage tags (enclosed) showing the name and contact information of the owner. Baggage without a lock may be refused for transport
- DO NOT pack medicine, valuables, and other personal necessities in checked luggage. Keep these items in your carry-on bag
- Consider packing a change of clothing, a set of undergarments and toiletries in your carry-on bag to avoid inconvenience caused by delays or lost luggage.
- Lithium-ion batteries up to 100 Wh can be carried in the cabin and checked baggage, provided they are inside the device. 2 spare batteries with a capacity of 100 Wh-160 Wh. max can only be carried in hand luggage and packaged. They cannot be carried in checked baggage. Please visit the Turkish Airline website to view all baggage restrictions.
- Please visit www.tsa.gov for USA carry on restrictions.
- No porter service will be provided throughout the tour or on ferry journeys; customers will need to be physically able to carry their own baggage when embarking and disembarking the ferry to place baggage in the designated storage area (this may include steps, inclines and/or uneven walkways).
- During the tour please always keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
- Important note: Affordable World Tours’ representatives cannot enter the luggage claim area. After you collect your luggage, please exit the baggage claim area. Our local Affordable World representative will be waiting for you outside with an Affordable World flag or sign.
Malta’s currency is called Euro (EUR). As of February 2022, the exchange rate is $1 U.S dollar to 0.88 EUR. We suggest you bring a combination of cash and credit cards for your trip. Most department stores, hotels and restaurants will accept major credit cards such as American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. However, it is more convenient to use cash especially if you are planning to shop and eat in smaller shops. Please always keep your currency exchange receipts as you may need to present these when changing EUR back to your own currency at the end of your trip.
An important note on tipping - please note gratuities are not included in your tour cost. They are customary and their purpose is to encourage and reward quality service. Our guides greatly appreciate any tips you would like to give them. Our recommended tip amount is:
- Local guides: €6 to 8 (half day), €10 (full day)
- Local drivers: €3 (half day), €5 (full day)
HEALTH & MEDICAL MATTERS
Medical and vaccination requirements vary between countries and it is important you check with your family doctor or a qualified medical professional for the most up to date travel health information for the region you are visiting. Due to the length of the trip, it is advised you consult your doctor for existing medical/dental conditions before departure. It is advised to pack any prescription medicine in your carry-on hand luggage. Please make sure prescription medicine is fully labeled. It may also be useful to bring aspirin, over-the-counter medicine for the flu, indigestion, motion sickness, etc. In case of illness during the trip, please immediately notify your tour guide for assistance.
Our Itineraries include city tours and these involve a decent amount of walking. Be prepared for many steps, uneven pavement, walking up steep inclines and steps with tight spaces (especially St. Paul’s Catacombs and other historic sites) – comfortable walking shoes with grip are strongly recommended.
Malta’s electrical system operates at 230 volts. The electrical outlet is the associated plug type G, which is the plug that has three rectangular pins in a triangular pattern. It is recommended travelers bring their own voltage converter and adapter.
The time difference between major cities in North America and Malta are as below:
- Los Angeles + 9 hours
- New York + 6 hours
Certain meals are included in Malta as per the itinerary. We regret to inform you that Affordable World is unable to confirm any special meal request as it is based on the availability of the restaurants, hotels, and airlines. Please contact the airlines directly to place special meal requests for your flights. Athough the tap water is safe to drink, it is sea water which goes through a desalination process and is quite hard, so bottled water is recommended.
Although Affordable World Tours’ national guides will be happy to assist you with any shopping requirements, Affordable World Tours does not assume responsibility for any items purchased at shops while on tour. You are never required to purchase any items while on tour and thus must be responsible for your own purchases. Any after sales correspondence must be between the passenger and the shop in question.
Optional tours may be added up to 7 days prior to the departure date. Optional tours may also be purchased while on the tour. All on-site optional tour purchases are an additional $10 per person and must be payable in USD cash (credit cards are not accepted for on-site optional tour purchases). Optional tours that have a “pre-book” icon are only available for purchase up to 7 days prior to the departure date and are not available for on-site purchase. Unused services, including optional tours are non-refundable.
CLIMATE & CLOTHING
Malta’s climate is typically Mediterranean so it is very mild all year round. The hottest months are June - September when temperatures vary between 80 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. During this period, we recommend wearing light clothes and using sun protection, as the UV index is usually quite high. The coolest months are December - February when temperatures vary between high 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Although Malta’s mosquitos do not carry disease, if you are prone to bites, we recommend using an insect repellent, particularly when traveling in the summer months. When entering churches in Malta, it is recommended that visitors cover their shoulders, and that any shorts/dresses are above the knees. Most of the major churches will provide shawls but it is the traveler’s responsibility to ensure they are properly dressed prior to entering.
Average temperatures in Malta:
MALTA EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
+356 9949 4396
US Embassy Malta
Ta’Qali National Park Street
Attard ATD 4000, Malta
Telephone: +(356) 2561-4000
Fun Facts about Malta
- Malta’s history spans over 7000 years – the prehistoric temples are believed to be amongst the oldest free-standing monuments in the world. They are older than the pyramids in Giza and Stonehenge in the United Kingdom.
- Malta is the smallest member state of the European Union and is in the top 10 smallest countries in the world.
- Valletta, Malta’s capital city, was built after the Great Siege of 1565, and it was Europe’s first ever planned city. The city is built in a grid formation. It is now considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Ever noticed the small cross on the Maltese flag? That is the George Cross which was awarded to Malta by King George VI of England in 1942 for the country’s bravery during World War 2.
- Malta is the only foreign country where Queen Elizabeth, then Princess Elizabeth lived. The royal couple lived in Malta as newlyweds for around 2 years.
- Malta’s national dish is rabbit, most people will either cook it as a stew in tomato sauce, or pan fry it in plenty of garlic and wine.
- Malta was the filming location to some big blockbusters and TV series – these include Midnight Express, Gladiator, Troy, Munich, Captain Phillips, and Game of Thrones (season 1)