THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
(Updated April 2019)
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Affordable World journey, please log on to your My Affordable account and click on your trip confirmation ID to review the most up to date trip details including hotel information, flight schedules, and ticket number(s). Please make sure you have all travel documents, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport and a copy of your trip confirmation page as you will need to present them when checking in at the airport. Please be advised not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travellers arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding pass(es) at the airline counter when you check in for your flight.
UPON ARRIVAL IN MALE
Please go through Customs and Immigrations on your own. After you pick up your luggage, exit the baggage claim area and proceed to the Adaaran hotel counter - E2. Please inform their representatives of your name(s) and they will confirm your speedboat transfer details.
Please wear your Affordable badge upon arrival in Male.
Speedboat Transfers upon Arrival
All guests are required to report to hotel counter E2 to confirm their speedboat transfer details. All transfers are provided on a combined basis with other guests arriving from the same flight and/or flights landing in close proximity of the time. The speedboat from MLE airport to the Adaaran Hudhuranfushi Resort is approximately 30 minutes (time will vary based on local weather conditions that day).
Land Only Travelers
If you have purchased a land only package, please provide Affordable World with your flight details prior to the trip departure date, so we may arrange your speedboat transfers to and from the resort.
Speedboat Transfers Out
The resort will provide a speedboat transfer to MLE airport on the day of your return flight. All transfers are provided on a combined basis with other guests departing on the same flight and/or flights departing in close proximity of the time. Exact timing for all guests will be informed by the hotel staff approximately 1 day prior to the return flight departure date.
CHECKING IN AT THE MALE AIRPORT & TRANSITING IN SHANGHAI AIRPORT (PVG)
For those flying back to the US on China Eastern Airlines (MU), please be advised that upon check-in at the MLE airport, you will only receive your MLE-PVG ticket. All guests are required to proceed to the MU transfer counter at the PVG airport to obtain their onward PVG-USA ticket.
Transiting in Shanghai Airport (PVG) to the U.S.A via China Eastern Airlines (MU)
For those flying back to the U.S on China Eastern Airlines (MU) – after you disembark the plane, please follow the signs that say, “International Connecting Flights” and proceed to the MU transfer counter to check-in and obtain your ticket for your PVG-USA flight. After you have obtained your PVG-USA ticket, please proceed through the designated security check. It is important that you do NOT exit and re-enter the PVG airport and do NOT go through the 24/144 hour-transit area as you are catching an international connecting flight and are not to exit the airport during your layover. Please note, Affordable World will not be held responsible for any travelers that exit the airport or transfer through the incorrect transit channel.
*Please refer to the enclosed PVG Airport Transfer Process document for detailed PVG transit instructions*
*Please note, lounge passes to China Eastern (MU) Airlines Flagship Lounge and VIP transfer assistance at the Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG) are available for purchase up to 7 days prior to your trip departure date. Please log on to your Affordable account to purchase these services.*
- Passports must be valid for at least 6 months from the return date of your trip and have at least 1 blank page
- U.S Passport holders – Entry Visas are required to travel to Maldives. A visitor visa is available at the airport upon arrival, for stays up to 30 days.
- Non-U. S Passport holders – Please check with your local embassy or consulate for visa requirements
- It is the responsibility of the traveller to obtain a visa in a timely manner
- For detailed passport and entry requirements, all travellers are advised to check with their embassy or consulate
Baggage allowance for international flights may vary by airline and subject to change at any time. Please refer to the below information for each airline’s baggage policy as of January 2019. For up to date baggage allowance information, check directly with the airlines.
- China Eastern Airlines International Flights - The standard free check-in baggage allowance on international flights is 2 pieces per person, up to 20 kg each. Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per person, up to 10 kg.
- Please keep in mind that you will be responsible for handling your own luggage throughout the trip
- Baggage is the sole responsibility of the traveller. We recommend using a TSA approved luggage lock and an Affordable World luggage tag (enclosed) showing the name and contact information of the owner. Baggage without a lock may be refused for transport
- When packing, please keep in mind that there is limited room on the speedboat transfer from MLE to the resort
- DO NOT pack medicine, valuables, and other personal necessities in checked luggage. Keep these items in your carry-on bag
- Consider packing a change of clothing and toiletry in your carry-on bag to avoid inconvenience caused by delays or lost luggage.
- Power bank chargers over 20,000 mAh are restricted from carry on and check in luggage
- Power bank mAh capacity must be clearly labelled by manufacturer on the charger
- Please visit www.tsa.gov for USA carry on restrictions
- No porter service will be provided throughout the tour. During the tour please keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables at all times. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
When transiting Maldives, travelers should ensure their luggage does not contain prohibited or restricted items, which include weapons, ammunition, alcohol, pornography, and religious material offensive to Islam, among other items. In some places, it is illegal to take pictures of certain buildings.
The currency of the Maldives is called the Rufiyah (MVR). As of January 2019, the exchange rate is $1 U.S dollar to 15.56 MVR. We suggest you bring a combination of cash and credit cards for your trip. Most hotels and restaurants will accept major credit cards as well as U.S dollars.
Please note gratuities are not included in your tour cost. They are customary and their purpose is to encourage and reward quality service. Our specialists greatly appreciate any tips you would like to give them.
HEALTH & MEDICAL MATTERS
Medical and vaccination requirements vary between countries and it is important you check with your family doctor or a qualified medical professional for the most up to date travel health information for the region you are visiting. Due to the length of the trip, it is strongly advised you consult your doctor for existing medical/dental conditions before departure. Please keep in mind the transfer from the airport to the resort and vice versa will be via speedboat. No alternate modes of transportation are offered at this time. It is advised to pack any prescription medicine in your carry-on hand luggage. Please make sure prescription medicine is fully labelled. It may also be useful to bring aspirin, over-the-counter medicine for the flu, indigestion, motion sickness, etc. In case of illness during the trip, please immediately notify your tour guide for assistance. Please note, as of January 2019, vaccinations for yellow fever are required if arriving from an infected area.
Maldives’ electrical system operates at 220/240 volts, so a converter is needed to operate a normal 110-volt American appliances. Electrical appliances will also require an adapter that can change the shape of the plug prongs. It is recommended travelers bring their own voltage converter and adapter
The time difference between major cities in North America and Maldives are as below:
- Los Angeles + 13 hours
- New York + 10 hours
Daily meals are included as per the itinerary. As of January 2019, the all-inclusive menu details are as follows; please keep in mind, restaurant items and hours are subject to change at the discretion of the hotel
- Banyan Main Restaurant – where all 3 meals will be served for guests staying in Beach and Ocean Villas
Type of cuisine – International Buffet
Breakfast: 7:30 – 9:30 am
Lunch: 12:30 – 2:30 pm
Dinner: 7:30 – 9:30 pm
- Sunset Restaurant Bar – exclusively available and included for guests staying in the Ocean Villas
Type of cuisine – International + Western buffet / A la carte items available during select days and meals
Breakfast: 7:30 – 9:30 am
Lunch: 12:30 – 2:30 pm
Dinner: 7:30 – 9:30 pm
Please note, meals at the Sunset Restaurant Bar are not included for guests staying in Beach Villas; Dining service at the Sunset Restaurant Bar is available for Beach Villa guests at an additional charge.
- A snack buffet will be offered at the Hiyala Bar from 10:30 am – 11:30 am and 11 pm – midnight
- Finger foods will be offered at the Hiyala bar from 4 pm – 5 pm
- The following beverages are included in this package:
SPIRITS (Served by the glass / Pouring brands) Whiskey / Brandy / Gin / Vodka / Rum
HOUSE WINE – RED / WHITE (Served by the glass)
DRAFT BEER (Served by the glass)
CORDIALS (Served by the glass) Mango / Pineapple / Passion fruit / Orange
AERATED WATER (Served by the glass) Chasers / Soft drinks
MINERAL WATER (Served by the glass)
TEA / COFFEE
- An array of locally and internationally inspired cocktails* and mocktails
A drink from each AI spirit (all-inclusive) spirit from a choice of cocktails*
A select list of mocktails are also available for order
Guests are required to order from the all-inclusive drink menu. Drinks not listed on the resort’s all-inclusive menu may be purchased for an extra fee*
Drinks ordered from their regular menu are not included and will be an extra fee
- Beverages provided are for your own consumption, served one glass at a time, while at the Resort’s restaurants and bars
- Fresh fruit juices, mini bar items (excluding the 2 mineral water bottles which will be replenished on a daily basis), theme nights and floodlit tennis is not included in the package
- All guests registered in the same room must be on the all-inclusive package
- Alcoholic beverages will not be served to anyone under the age of 18 years
- There are no refunds or substitutions, nor are any benefits transferable to another guest
- All-inclusive entitlements (meals, drinks, etc.) will end on the date of the check-out at 12 noon
- All guests are responsible for informing the restaurant and hotel staff of any food allergies and/or special meal requests
Affordable World does not assume responsibility for any items purchased at shops while on tour. You are never required to purchase any items while on tour and thus must be responsible for your own purchases. Any after sales correspondence must be between the passenger and the shop in question.
OPTIONAL TOURS & SPECIAL MEALS
Optional tours and special meals are available and may be booked and purchased on site directly from the resort.
CLIMATE & CLOTHING
- The Maldives Islands enjoy a delightful climate, sunny and pleasant for the majority of the year
- Although rainfall is not very frequent, scattered showers can be expected during certain times of the year
- Inclement weather conditions seldom occur in the Maldives and are very short-lived
- Recommended items to bring:
Comfortable walking shoes and sandals are essential
Clothes should be light and loose; natural fibres or blends are best
Lightweight loungewear also recommended (linens, cottons, etc.)
Swimsuit, sunglasses and light hats are highly recommended
Water shoes are highly recommended as there is a lot of coral in the oceans and lagoons; water shoes are also available for purchase in the gift shop however sizing is limited
Snorkel gear (there’s a lot of opportunities to snorkel around the resort’s beaches and in the lagoons by the ocean villas); snorkel gear is also available for rent or purchase at the resort
Sunscreen (also available for purchase at the gift store)
|Maldives Average Temperature|
MALDIVES EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
+00 960 6641930 (Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi General 24/7 Line)
+00 960 7911847 (Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi Front Office Manager)
Our experienced staff of Maldives specialists take pride in providing you with the very best in service and planning. Thank you for choosing Affordable World as your partner in travel. We are confident your trip will be happy and rewarding!