THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO JAPAN
(Updated December 2017)
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Affordable World journey, please log on to your My Affordable account and click on your trip confirmation ID to review the most up to date trip details including hotel information, flight schedules, and ticket number(s). Please make sure you have all travel documents, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport as you will need to present it when checking in at the airport. Please be advised that not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travellers arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding passes at the airline counter when you check in for your flight.
UPON ARRIVAL IN JAPAN
Please go through Customs and Immigrations on your own. After you pick up your luggage, exit the baggage claim area and look for the Affordable World representative holding an Affordable Asia/World flag or sign. Please wear your Affordable World badge for easy identification.
Airport Transfers Upon Arrival
Affordable World tour guides/airport assistants will wait for arriving tour members outside the airport baggage claim area for up to 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight before departing from the airport with transportation to the hotel. If for any reason a tour member does not meet the Affordable World representative within 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight, the tour member will be responsible for his or her own transportation from the airport to the hotel, along with all associated expenses.
Land Only & Extended Stay Travelers
Land only packages do not include airport transfers. Please arrange your own airport transfer to the hotel in Tokyo as listed in your travel documents. The tour guide will leave information for you at the hotel regarding the time of the meeting the next day. Airport transfers out are not included for those who have chosen to extend their stay in Japan at the end of the tour. Please be sure to arrange your own transfer out to the airport.
Entry visas are not included as part of the tour and are the sole responsibility of the traveller. If you are holding a valid USA passport and will not be staying in Japan over two weeks, an entry visa is not required. Passports must be valid for 6 months from the return date of your trip. For more information on travel advice to Japan, please visit: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/japan.html
Baggage allowance for international flights may vary by airline and is subject to change at any time. Please refer to the below information for Singapore Airlines, Air China, and Japan Airlines baggage policy as of November 1st 2016. For up to date baggage allowance information, please check directly with the airlines.
· Singapore Airlines International Flights Singapore Airlines allows 2 pieces check-in luggage (max 23 kg each) and one carry on piece not exceeding 7 kg for hand luggage on international flights.
· Air China International Flights The standard free check in baggage allowance on international flights from the U.S to Japan is 2 pieces per person, up to 50 lbs each. Carry on baggage is limited to one piece per person up to 5 kg
· Cathay Pacific International Flights The standard free baggage allowance on international flights is 2 pieces per person, up to 50 lbs each. Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per person, up to 15 lbs.
· Please keep in mind the standard free baggage allowance on Inter-Asia flights is 1 piece check in luggage.
Important Luggage Info & Tips:
· Baggage is the sole responsibility of the traveller. We recommend using a TSA approved luggage lock and Affordable Asia/World luggage tags showing the name and contact information of the owner, and tour code. (Please only use the Affordable Asia or Affordable World luggage tags provided in this package).
· DO NOT pack medicine, valuables, and other personal necessities in checked luggage. Keep these items in your carry-on bag.
· Consider packing a change of clothing and toiletry in your carry-on bag to avoid inconvenience caused by delays or lost luggage
· Power bank chargers over 20,000 mAh are restricted from carry on and check in luggage ? Power bank mAh capacity must be clearly labelled by manufacturer on the charger
· Power bank mAh capacity must be clearly labelled by manufacturer on the charger
· Please visit www.tsa.gov for USA carry on restrictions
· No porter service will be provided throughout the tour. During the tour please keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables at all times. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
· Important Note: Affordable World representatives cannot enter the luggage claim area. After you collect your luggage and exit customs, our local Affordable World representative will be waiting for you with an Affordable Asia/World flag or sign. Please wear your Affordable World badge for easy identification.