Before your trip
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR TRIP
(Updated July 2023)
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Affordable World journey, please log on to your My Affordable account and click on Upcoming Trips - View Trip Details to review the most up to date trip details including hotel information, flight schedules, and ticket number(s). Please make sure you have all travel documents*, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport and all required travel documents* as you will need to present them when checking in at the airport. Please be advised that not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travelers arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding passes at the airline counter when you check in for your flight.
UPON ARRIVAL IN JORDAN
Please go through Customs and immigration on your own. After you pick up your luggage, exit the baggage claim area and meet the representative outside the airport. Please look for the Affordable World representative* holding an Affordable World flag or sign. Please wear your Affordable badge (enclosed) for easy identification. *Depending on your arrival date, you will be met by a hotel representative or the local tour guide.
Airport Transfers upon Arrival
Affordable World tour guides/airport assistants will wait for arriving tour members outside the airport baggage claim area for up to 90 minutes* after the landing time of the tour member's flight before departing from the airport with transportation to the hotel. If for any reason a tour member does not meet the Affordable World representative within 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight, the tour member will be responsible for his or her own transportation from the airport to the hotel, along with all associated expenses. Please note we may provide your phone number to our ground operator in case they may need to contact you.
Extended Stay Travelers
Airport transfers are not included for those who have chosen to extend their stay at the end of the tour or depart early. If you have purchased an airport transfer service from us, please be sure to provide all flight information to Affordable World prior to your trip departure date.
Upon arrival in Jordan, a tour guide or representative will provide you with a detailed day-to-day itinerary with transfer schedules for city and optional tours as well as any necessary vouchers required for the trip.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months beyond the date of entry (into Jordan) and have at least 1 blank page for entry and exit stamps. You will be denied entry into Jordan if there is not enough space for entry and exit stamps in your passport.
- US Passport holders – U.S. citizens are required to have an entry visa to travel to Jordan. A visa can be obtained online prior to travel or upon arrival in Jordan. Please click here to apply online. The visa cost approximately USD 60 for a single entry.
- Non-US Passport holders – please check with your local Jordan consulate for Visa requirements.
- All travelers must ensure they are eligible to enter Jordan and produce all required entry documentation for this vacation. Requirements and restrictions may depend on different factors including but not limited to: your country of residence, passport nationality, transit points, as well as previous travel history.
- For detailed passport and visa requirements, all travelers are advised to check with the related embassy or consulate.
- Full proof of Covid-19 vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test is no longer required for Jordan. This new protocol will take effect for Jordan packages departing on or after July 05, 2023 and is subject to change at any time. For more details and a full list of exemptions, visit the Jordan Embassy website.
- Travel Declaration Form: All travelers must complete a travel declaration form and obtain a QR code (via email) a maximum of 72 hours prior to travel to Jordan. Travelers must present the QR code to the airline during check-in. Please click here to complete and submit the travel declaration form. This requirement doesn’t apply to travelers below 5 years of age at the time of travel. Please click here to view FAQs.
- Please note that the information provided in this document is based on the time of print/publication and a country’s requirements can change at any time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to check all updates and obtain all necessary documents and tests prior to departure, as well as entry back into the US. Affordable World is not responsible if you are denied entrance for any reason in any country, even if you hold a valid passport and entry visa.
- Baggage allowance for international flights varies by airline and is subject to change at any time. For up-to-date baggage allowance restrictions, please check with the appropriate airline for their latest regulations. Additional baggage charges may apply.
- Please keep in mind within Asia & Middle East the baggage limitation on all flights varies by airline. Generally, the baggage allowance on domestic and within Asia & Middle East flights is limited to 1 checked-in of 44 lbs. and 1 carry-on with a combined total dimension not exceeding 45 inches. Please check directly with the corresponding airline to confirm baggage allowance policies.
Important Luggage Info & Tips
- Baggage is the sole responsibility of the traveler. We recommend using a TSA approved luggage lock and Affordable World luggage tags (enclosed) showing the name and contact information of the owner. Baggage without a lock may be refused for transport
- DO NOT pack medicine, valuables, and other personal necessities in checked luggage. Keep these items in your carry-on bag
- Consider packing a change of clothing, a set of undergarments and toiletries in your carry-on bag to avoid inconvenience caused by delays or lost luggage.
- Please visit the Turkish Airlines website to view all baggage restrictions.
- Please visit www.tsa.gov for USA carry-on restrictions
- No porter service will be provided throughout the tour. During the tour please always keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
- Never leave your valuables on the coach bus. Neither Affordable World nor the coach bus company bears responsibility for any loss, theft or damage to your valuables.
- Important note: Affordable World Tours’ representatives cannot enter the luggage claim area. After you collect your luggage, please exit the baggage claim area. Our local Affordable World representative will be waiting for you outside with an Affordable World flag or sign.
Jordan’s currency is called Jordanian dinar (JOD). As of July 2023, the exchange rate is $1 U.S dollar to 0.71 JOD. We suggest you bring a combination of cash and credit cards for your trip. Most department stores, hotels and restaurants will accept major credit cards such as American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. However, it is more convenient to use cash especially if you are planning to shop and eat in smaller shops. Please always keep your currency exchange receipts as you may need to present these when changing JOD back to your own currency at the end of your trip. All travelers entering or leaving the EU with a sum equal to or exceeding 10,000 Euros must declare it on their customs form.
An important note on tipping - please note gratuities are not included in your tour cost. They are customary and their purpose is to encourage and reward quality service.
Our guides greatly appreciate any tips you would like to give them. Our recommended tip amount is:
Local guides: $3 per guest per night
Local drivers: $2 per guest per night
Horse Person in Petra: $5 per guest
HEALTH & MEDICAL MATTERS
Medical and vaccination requirements vary between countries and it is important you check with your family doctor or a qualified medical professional for the most up to date travel health information for the region you are visiting. Due to the length of the trip, it is advised you consult your doctor for existing medical/dental conditions before departure. It is advised to pack any prescription medicine in your carry-on hand luggage. Please make sure prescription medicine is fully labeled. It may also be useful to bring aspirin, over-the-counter medicine for the flu, indigestion, motion sickness, etc. In case of illness during the trip, please immediately notify your tour guide for assistance. If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Jordan to ensure the medication is legal in Jordan. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. Some medications may be unavailable in Jordan.
Our Itineraries include city tours and these involve a decent amount of walking. Be prepared for many steps, uneven pavement, walking up steep inclines, and tight spaces – comfortable walking shoes with grip are strongly recommended.
Jordan’s electrical system operates at 230 volts. The electrical outlets are five associated plug types, types C, D, F, D and J. Plug type C has two round pins. Plug type D has three round pins in a triangular pattern. Plug type F has two round pins with two earth clips on the side. Plug type G has three rectangular pins in a triangular pattern. Plug type J has three round pins. It is recommended travelers bring their own voltage converter and adapter.
The time difference between major cities in North America and Jordan are as below:
- Los Angeles + 10 hours
- New York + 7 hours
Certain meals are included in Jordan as per the itinerary. We regret to inform you that Affordable World is unable to confirm any special meal request as it is based on the availability of restaurants, hotels, and airlines. Please contact the airlines directly to place special meal requests for your flights.
Although Affordable World Tours’ national guides will be happy to assist you with any shopping requirements, Affordable World Tours does not assume responsibility for any items purchased at shops while on tour. You are never required to purchase any items while on tour and thus must be responsible for your own purchases. Any after sales correspondence must be between the passenger and the shop in question.
Optional tours may be added up to 7 days prior to the departure date. Optional tours may also be purchased while on the tour. All on-site optional tour purchases are an additional $10 per person and must be payable in USD cash (credit cards are not accepted for on-site optional tour purchases). Optional tours that have a “pre-book” icon are only available for purchase up to 7 days prior to the departure date and are not available for on-site purchase. Unused services, including optional tours are non-refundable.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES
Hotel Elevators: Elevators in most Asian & Middle Eastern hotels are generally smaller than in the US. Please be patient when waiting for elevators or for luggage in hotels.
CLIMATE & CLOTHING
The climate zones observed in Jordan are an arid desert climate where summers are hot and dry and the winters are mild and rainy. We strongly suggest bringing comfortable, casual clothing and layers (morning and night are cold and the day is hot) and good walking shoes, preferably hiking shoes, a scarf to cover or protect the face from sand and recommended bringing water shoes while visiting the Dead Sea for this trip. Please be aware some religious and other sites in Asia & Middle East may have specific dress requirements (i.e. no shorts or sleeveless tops).
July is the hottest month in Amman with an average temperature of 25°C (77°F) and the coldest is January at 8°C (46°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 13 in August. The wettest month is December with an average of 60mm of rain.
JORDAN EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
+962 77 615 5955
We’d like to remind all guests to check their local state travel guidelines regarding travel restrictions when arriving from international destinations or other US States, as this may vary state by state.
US State Department
CDC Travel Resources
Ministry of Interior of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
Royal Jordanian Airlines
U.S. Embassy Amman
Telephone: +(962) (6) 590-6000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(962) (6) 590-6500
Fax: +(962) (6) 592-4102
Our experienced staff of Jordan specialists take pride in providing you with the very best in service and planning. Thank you for choosing Affordable World as your partner in travel. We are confident your trip will be happy and rewarding!