The City God’s Temple, also known as Old Town God’s Temple, is located next to the Yuyuan Garden in Old City of Shanghai. Built in the fifteenth century during the Ming Dynasty, it was erected in honor of the Han statesman Huo Guang (68 B.C.). Since its founding in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), it has been destroyed and repaired several times. The structure that stands today is the result of a reconstruction in 1926.
Today, The City God Temple is a traditional Taoist temple that covers an area of more than 10,000 square meters. It is filled with numerous halls and two gardens archetypal to ancient Chinese architecture and landscaping. As the home of local deities, it is responsible for the well-being and wealth of the Shanghai residents.