The Lama Temple, situated to the northeast of Beijing, is one of the largest and best-preserved monasteries in city. It was built in 1964 during the Qing dynasty as the residence of Emperor Yongzheng, but in 1744, was converted into a monastery for Tibetan Buddhist monks. It stands apart from other monasteries because it was constructed and decorated in the resplendent style of an imperial palace.
The temple covers an area of 66,400 sq meters and has been often been described as a mini palace. Following the standards of ancient Chinese architecture, every aspect of the temple is symmetrical with the main halls falling on a north-south axis. The complex consists of a courtyard in the south and five main halls in separate courtyards in the north: the Hall of the Heavenly Kings, the Hall of Harmony and Peace, the Hall of Everlasting Blessings, the Hall of the Dharma Wheel and the Pavilion of Infinite Happiness.